Deployment with Merge Modules
Richard Kucia
2008-03-28 19:18:20 UTC
I can't figure out what I'm missing here --

VS2005: I have a solution with ordinary code projects and 3 deployment projects (English, German and Japanese). I need to include the same 30 data files with each of the deployment projects. So I built a MergeModule project and added all 30 data files to it. And then I added the MergeModule to each of the deployment projects. I set the deployment target for the merge module output to (application folder on the user's PC) \ "XYZ". It shows "XYZ" in the deployment project's merge module properties. The visual tree of the target PC's file system also shows the correct target for the MSM.

The subfolder XYZ is also designated in the deployment as one that should be created on the target PC. When I run the MSI, XYZ is indeed created under the application folder, as are a handful of other folders. But all 30 files go into the application folder, not the XYZ subfolder.

What did I miss? I've tried and can't find the right combination of ingredients. Thanks.

Rick Kucia